Apr 3, 2015

5 Questions For: Louisa Cohen, RENEW Gallery

Name: Louisa Cohen
Title:  Director of Marketing
Company:  RENEW Gallery

Which of your designs or projects are you most excited about right now?
 We just brought in an absolutely wild atomic-style midcentury light fixture. The restoration has already begun, and I am chomping at the bit to see the final product. We have the ten original ball-shaped light bulbs that were made for it… they are gold dipped and so beautiful! This light is so incredibly cool it hurts.

I am also really excited about planning the lighting concept for our family cottage—we are doing a very minimal midcentury-inspired style with lots of bare-bulb fixtures. Of course, the cabin will also have antique architectural touches.

Tell us three words that embody your design philosophy.
Classic. Eclectic. Cool.

What's your favorite place in the Pacific Northwest?
My family has a property on Sakinaw Lake on the Sunshine Coast. It’s a truly happy place for me when I am able to make it up there. Believe it or not, this will be the first summer that it will have running water, electricity, and other modern conveniences… we are rustic at heart! Swimming in the water is delicious, the sun is hot, the beer is cold, and the dog is happy.

Who or what are you inspired by right now?
Hmm… depending on when you ask me, the answer could be anything from a great-tasting bourbon cocktail to a delicious taco.

In general, I have California on the brain and just visited L.A. I love discovering new neighborhoods like Echo Park and Silverlake and feeling out their vibes, seeing the way people live, where they get their morning coffee, and what they wear to work. L.A. is very chill. That’s surprising for such a busy and sprawling urban landscape, but I guess it’s all those palm trees and the constant sunshine.

What do you think of the color gray?
Love it. I have an ever-growing collection of gray sweaters that I constantly rely on. My dog is charcoal gray, so I think of him. Oh, and I am a fan of the ‘silver fox,’ if you know what I mean! Gray also makes me think of balance, in its perfect relationship to both black and white.


Image Courtesy of Helena McMurdo.

No comments:

Post a Comment