Jun 9, 2015

GRAY Conversations: Fashion on the Rise Panelist Q&A

Our third Sorrento Series GRAY Conversation, in partnership with IDSWest, is this Thursday. GRAY is bringing together some of the region's top fashion designers for a conversation about what's happening in the PNW fashion world. From clothing and jewelry to handbags and shoes, this panel of sartorial all-stars will talk about how we went from sportswear to street chic. We chatted with our panelists (check out the blog tomorrow for the second half) about the start of their careers, their favorite garments, and who they dream of dressing.

Join us at the Sorrento for cocktails (cash bar) in Top of the Town at 6 pm. Panel discussion starts at 7 pm. 
Tickets are still available HERE

SUK CHAI, SCHAI

How would you describe your personal style?
Non-bounded. I want things to be not-too-perfect. Timeless with unique artistic elements. Approachable with a bit of messy-cool.

How did you first get into fashion?
I think it started with paper dolls when I was a little kid growing up in Korea in the 70s. I was the last of my siblings, so I wore hand-me-downs and waited up to six years for my brother’s tweed double-breasted coat. I always wanted to have clothing that was just for me, so the easiest and cheapest way to do that was to make my own paper dolls and their clothing.

What is your favorite piece you’ve ever made?
The Duplex Sleeveless Coat
Image: Charlie Schuck. Model: Katie Joy Blanksma    
Every season I have my favorite. I am obsessed with the Duplex Sleeveless Coat from the upcoming FW2015 Collection, which was inspired by the World Trade Center Twin Towers, built in 1972. It looks amazing on every height and figure, creates multiple looks, and is appropriate for every occasion.

What is the most exciting part of the fashion scene here in the Northwest?
There is this zen-ness in the culture. Seattle is not about glamour and showiness; we care about the story behind each design and its materials, and how they inspired the creator as well as the consumer. Whether a piece is up-cycled or brand-new, it’s conscious design with purpose. In Seattle, we are more cognizant of how and where things are made; therefore designers are very conscious to create beautiful things that are meaningful and will last. 


What fall trends are you looking forward to most?
Coats. Oversize coats, sleeveless coats, dress coats, cropped coats, maxi coats, sweater coats… It’s all about the coats.  

If you could design an outfit for anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?

Tilda Swinton. No question about it. She is magical.




How would you describe your personal style?
I would describe my style as an eclectic razor blade. I dress in soft, romantic clothing with edge, mixing modern and vintage. Oh, and I love a good black bra moment!

How did you first get into fashion?
I started sewing and altering my own clothing in high school. With little money for back-to-school shopping, I would go to local thrift shops and buy by the pound, then alter the pieces to create something new. I love clothing with a story, which is why vintage has such a special place in my heart, and why I design emotive pieces.

Pieces designed for LED dance company. Image courtesy of Michelle Lesniack.
What is your favorite piece you’ve ever made?
Oh golly. This is a tough one! Every new garment I make is my favorite. I am in love with with the work we did for an upcoming dance company called LED based out of Boise, Idaho.

What is the most exciting part of the fashion scene here in the Northwest?
What I love about the fashion scene here in the Northwest is that it is ever-changing, like the weather. It is also accepting of all styles and letting one’s freak flag fly. I like being different, and the PNW gives a hug to those trend-setters and dressers of different styles.

What fall trends are you looking forward to most?
Layering. Burgundy is back again! Print mixing and heavy floral—think bohemian brocade!

If you could design an outfit for anyone, dead or alive, who would it be? 
Currently it would be: Florence Welch, Rooney Mara, and Rosalind Russell in Auntie Mame.




No comments:

Post a Comment