Aug 15, 2013

Meet the Team: Nicole Munson

Ever wonder who's behind GRAY magazine? Well, we want you to get to know us a little better. That's why we're starting the Meet the Team series. Every week we will be posting a Q&A with one of our fabulous team members so you can get a peek at their inspirations, experience at the magazine, and how they got involved in the design industry. And if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment.


Name: Nicole Munson


Position at GRAY: Associate Style Editor



What is your favorite part of working at GRAY?

Well, first off, who wouldn’t want to work for a magazine?! I grew up in a rural area, and the magazines that arrived in my mailbox every month were my lifeline to the outside world. Glossy pages full of new trends and products brightened my world. I love that I am now a part of this amazing platform to share new design inspiration and great tidbits from the creative world to such a large audience.



How would you describe the Pacific Northwest design and architecture scene? How is it different from other parts of the country?
 
Our landscape and love of nature are a big part of Northwest design. What really plays to our advantage though, is the relative newness of the Northwest. Unlike the East Coast, we are still learning who we are, and it allows for a lot of creativity and experimentation in design.  


What is your favorite design era or style? Why?

I think it changes every week. I am inundated with design all day every day, so my aesthetic changes constantly. One thing I am sure of though, is that a home should reflect your personal style. I believe that great design is built over time with things you have collected over the years. But, as of right now, I am feeling pastels (particularly peach) and graphic eighties prints.


Where is your favorite space to hang out or spend time?
            
My bedroom is pretty darn great. While the rest of my home is fairly bright, I love my room to be dark and moody. Placing my bed on the floor was a conscious decision that made the ceilings seem higher and created a sense of coziness.  I purchased dark IKEA curtains that I hung right up to the ceiling and let pool on the floor. Also, I have a lot, a lot, of books everywhere, and I love to collect quirky vintage ones.  Incense trays and vintage sheepskin rugs from my Grandma help set the mood as well.


What has been one of the highlights of the past year for you?

I just celebrated my first anniversary with GRAY—the whole past year with the magazine has been a highlight! A personal highlight was spending two weeks in Paris and London last fall. The design scene there is off the charts. Needless to say, I came back inspired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment