Oct 7, 2013

Meet the Team: Hillary Rielly


Ever wonder who's behind GRAY magazine? Well, we want you to get to know us a little better. That's why we're starting the Meet the Team series. Every week we will be posting a Q&A with one of our fabulous team members so you can get a peek at their inspirations, experience at the magazine, and how they got involved in the design industry. And if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment.





Name: Hillary Rielly           


Position at GRAY: Writer





What is your favorite part of working for GRAY?


Being surrounded by so many talented women. The dudes are talented too, but I am all about women!


How would you describe the Pacific Northwest design and architecture scene? How is it different from other parts of the country?



It’s definitely coming into its own and embracing its own sense of natural, comfortable Modernism. I love that we are finding our voice and sense of self. I think ultimately it comes down to the materials—they mimic our surroundings and don’t try to be something else. I like that.


How did you get into the design industry?

I got my degree in interior design from Bellevue College and after a two-year stint working in restaurants, I got my first job in the industry at Inform Interiors.


What is your favorite design era or style? Why?

I really love the ‘70s. The colors, the materials, but I’m more about the hippier side of it and less the super glam.  Though, I’ll throw some gold into the mix any day of the week!


What is your favorite section of the magazine? Why?

It’s not a section but I love the graphics of the entire magazine. It is so polished and professional—I pinch myself that I get to write for such a high-caliber mag.


What is your favorite space in your home? 

If I had to narrow it down, it would be my dining area. We had our table custom built and I love it. I love that it’s long and fits up to 12 and that we’ve had a zillion dinner parties around it with a zillion great friends. I love that I do most of my writing at that table, and art projects, and wrapping presents, and it’s where my son will eat solid foods and we’ll talk about our days. That space embodies family, friends, good food, and love.


What has been one of the highlights of the past year for you?
Having my baby son. Wow, what an experience, what a journey. And it really brought me so much closer to my husband and reinforced me doing what I love. And now I’ve got this little guy in my life that is so much more fun than I thought was possible for a five-month old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment