Oct 17, 2013

Meet the Team: Stacy Kendall

Ever wonder who's behind GRAY magazine? Well, we want you to get to know us a little better. That's why we're starting the Meet the Team series. Every week we will be posting a Q&A with one of our fabulous team members so you can get a peek at their inspirations, experience at the magazine, and how they got involved in the design industry. And if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment.




Name: Stacy Kendall


Position at GRAY: Style Director



What is your favorite part of working for GRAY?



Knowing that we are doing this for absolutely the right reasons—the love of the Pacific Northwest design industry, design in general, and this magazine.



How would you describe the Pacific Northwest design and architecture scene? How is it different from other parts of the country?

I love that design here can be unexpected. There are certainly Northwest design clichés, but I still feel that you can't pin us down completely. Other regions of the country have long histories and design standards that can seem almost mandated by the state or something. I like that we value individuality.


How did you get into the design industry?

I was working at an antique and interiors shop in Seattle during college, and we advertised in Seattle Homes & Lifestyles magazine. I have always loved magazines and interior design and architecture, so I inquired about an internship—which they had never even had before! Two years and many opportunities to flex my writing and editorial muscles later, I became the assistant market editor and then the market editor. 


Do you have any favorite GRAY memories?

I will never forget when we were on Whidbey Island shooting a home feature. I came back from picking up lunch, and clearly Shawn Williams (our publisher and creative director) and Alex Hayden (our photographer) had been plotting while I was away because she turned to me and just said, "Ok, don't say no ..." Which always means it's going to be good. They decided that to add some interest to the shot of the water and the dock, that someone should be standing at the end ... in a bathing suit. Conveniently, the homeowner had a vintage bathing suit collection. Everything in my being protested to giving in, but I really will do anything for GRAY. She promised that I would be barely recognizable and really far in the background. Thank goodness! The shot ended up being the cover, so I joke that I've graced the cover of a magazine in a bathing suit.


What is your favorite section of the magazine? Why?

As a former market editor, I have to say any shopping or style story. Nicole Munson (associate style editor) has such an amazing eye (follow her on Pinterest, you won't be disappointed), and in every issue I'm amazed at what she finds. I like that for the first year and a half of the magazine we played with the idea of horoscopes on the back page with the Zodiac section. It was just a silly idea that we had at the beginning, and I love that we could do it just because! It's really Nicole's great eye that makes me love that page. 


What is your favorite space in your home?

Probably the dining room. I love entertaining, and sometimes my favorite part of that is just setting the table and putting the drinks and glasses out on the buffet. I love a festive atmosphere. This year I got a pair of lamps that are white lacquer, in the shape of a horse head, which I put on each end of the buffet. They always make me smile! And I put up a print from my friend, and very talented artist, Dylan Neuwirth, that says "PUNK" on the wall. I always try to maintain a sense of humor and unexpectedness in my house. 



No comments:

Post a Comment