Nov 19, 2013

Meet the Team: Kim Schmidt

Ever wonder who's behind GRAY magazine? Well, we want you to get to know us a little better. That's why we're starting the Meet the Team series. Every week we will be posting a Q&A with one of our fabulous team members so you can get a peek at their inspirations, experience at the magazine, and how they got involved in the design industry. And if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment.


Account Executive Kim Schmidt with her dog Charlie. 
Name: Kim Schmidt


Position at GRAY: Account Executive 



What is your favorite part of working for GRAY?




I love being immersed in the local design scene. Connecting with my clients and forming friendships over time is gratifying. It is exciting to start at GRAY's inception and watch it take off.






How would you describe the Pacific Northwest design and architecture scene? How is it different from other parts of the country?

I grew up in the Northeast, so I was surrounded by older architecture and a more formal design style. Here in the Pacific Northwest, people are very interested to know where materials and pieces come from, how they are made and by whom. This makes for a perfect alliance with the many small workshops and creators that live and work here.  I feel like design here has a more organic quality.



How did you get into the design industry?

My first job in the design industry was with a small residential interior design firm as the design assistant and office manager. After working there for about two years, I heard about a new publication starting called Seattle Homes & Lifestyles. I thought it would be a great way to experience the design industry and was hired by the magazine just as it launched its first issue.



What is your favorite design era or style? Why? 

I enjoy a mix of styles. I inherited some antiques from my grandparents and I mix them with Craigslist and estate sale finds as well as Ikea finds. One of my favorite things to do is hunt for interesting vintage and second-hand accessories to add character to my house. I'm appreciating mid-century designs more and a modern, clean look in general.



What is your favorite section of the magazine? Why? 

I like the home features—getting a glimpse of how others live and choose to decorate their homes is intrigues me. Also, the Raves section and finding out what is new and hot now.



What is your favorite thing about the Pacific Northwest region?

Not the rain and gray—sorry! I do love the natural beauty of the water and mountains plus gorgeous sunsets.  



What is your favorite space in your home? 

My dining room, which is my work pace, where my kids do homework, and a hangout spot with friends. It is sunny and the bright-pistachio green walls make me happy!






No comments:

Post a Comment